Saturday, October 14, 2006

Skill and Technique

I have never been into arts. I dont sing, dance
or paint. I dunno if its the skill or the interest
or the time that I lack. Anyways
I do play a lot of sports. And TT in particular
I play almost daily.

Now TT involves both technique and skill. Technique
is about knowing the different spins that the
opponent/oneself can impart on the ball and knowing
how to counter that spin. With practice
you tend to learn to use the correct stroke.
But there is something more to this game than
just technique. There is an artistic way of
playing this game. The difference is similar
to say Lara's batting and Tendulkar's.
There is a certain poetry to Lara batting.
Whereas Tendulkar at best can be described for
his technique or his ruthlessness.
I dunno if you can develop this artistic appeal
a player has.
Compare Federer's game with lets say Nadal.
Doesnt Federer's game look more artistic.
For a man who doesnt seem to be bulging with
muscles he seems to generate tremendous pace.
He uses his body really well.
Similarly bowlers in cricket. There are some
who treat it as art form and a few others build
muscles and pound the ball.
Shane Warne, isnt he an artist
Akram, can one get better than him
So in that respect I think I can say, I am artistic
or atleast I try or atleast I know the difference.

No comments:

Dhiti