Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My Desktop

Herez a typical view of my desktop.
I prefer working on Linux. I am forced to use Fedora Core 3 at work and on my laptop I run Ubuntu. Begining to appreciate Ubuntu for how easy it is to upgrade s/w and the entire distribution.

I use ratpoison as my window manager. One of those weekends at Veritas I tried it and liked it. I dont know why I use it, but I am too used to it and like what it offers. But the downside is that few apps dont run well. I will try to move away sometime soon. If you want to give it a shot herez the url
http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/

I use emacs as my editor. Been using it for a while now. Find it high portable and there is loads of config to make my life simple in almost any os.

I use gnus inside emacs as my email reader. It is one of the best out there. Painful to configure but once you get it going, it works like a charm. I also use evolution sometimes.

I run a xterm with screen. If you have not used screen then you have lost out on one of the best s/w utilities out there. I can detach and reattach my work from anywhere. I can easily log my console output, I can search my console output.

I use firefox as my browser. Meebo for ym.

No comments:

Dhiti